six demon bag
Wind, fire, all that kind of thing!
To prevent the AVAHI daemon on Debian systems from running without actually uninstalling the package
avahi-daemon or touching the runlevels do this:
touch /var/run/avahi-daemon/disabled-for-unicast-local sed -i 's/^#\?\(AVAHI_DAEMON_DETECT_LOCAL\)=.*/\1=1/' /etc/default/avahi-daemon service restart avahi-daemon
I've seen people suggest putting a line
exit 0 into
/etc/default/avahi-daemon, but I wouldn't recommend that, because it would prevent not only starting the daemon, but also stopping it.
Posted 13:31 [permalink]
Recently I was tasked with forwarding logs to a central
log server - in this case JVM garbage collector logs
from Solr instances. Normally not a big deal. Configure log rotation (to
avoid filling the disk), then have rsyslog read the active
log file via an
Sounds simple, right? Until you realize that JVM log rotation
marks the active log with the extension
.current and rotates that
extension instead of actually rotating the logs.
Posted 23:23 [permalink]
If you're using Apache Spark and run into an issue where your workers fail to start, make sure that the workers use the same
SPARK_MASTER_IP value that was used when starting the master. You can see it in the top left corner of the master's web interface:
Posted 21:37 [permalink]
API documentation is nice, and being able to generate it from the code is even nicer. However, unlike Perl, Python, Java, or several other languages, VBScript doesn't have a feature or tool that supports this. Which kinda sucks.
I tried VBDOX, but didn't find usability or results too convincing. I also tried doxygen by adapting Basti Grembowietz' Visual Basic doxygen filter. However, doxygen does a lot of things I don't actually need, and I didn't manage to make it do some of the things I do need. Thus I ended up writing my own VBScript documentation generator.
Posted 16:31 [permalink]
Recently I noticed that I was no longer able to delete scheduled tasks on my Windows 7 test box, even though I created them myself. Deletion attempts failed with the following error:
The user account does not have permission to delete this task.
Deleting my own tasks works fine in a vanilla install of Windows 7 SP1, so the issue must have been introduced by some update along the way. I had to modify the permissions on
C:\Windows\System32\Tasks to get it to work again:
icacls "C:\Windows\System32\Tasks" /grant "Authenticated Users":(RD)
Granting "list folder/read data" on the folder itself was sufficient, since the task files are owned by the user creating them and the
CREATOR OWNER principal has full access to subfolders and files.
Posted 19:51 [permalink]